If you want to know more about what features are support when your Mailbox is hosted Online or On-Prem you might want to read this article. Highlights are provided on this page.
- Microsoft Teams doesn’t support SharePoint on-premises.
- SharePoint Online is required to share and store files in team conversations.
- OneDrive for Business is required to share and store files in private chats.
- If users aren’t assigned and enabled with SharePoint Online licenses, they don’t have OneDrive for Business storage in Office 365. File sharing will continue to work in Channels, but users are unable to share files in Chats without OneDrive for Business storage in Office 365.
- Users must be enabled for Office 365 group creation to create teams in Microsoft Teams.
- In Microsoft Teams, security and compliance features like eDiscovery, Content Search, archiving, and legal hold work best in Exchange Online and SharePoint Online environments. For channel conversations, messages are journaled to the group mailbox in Exchange Online, where they’re available for eDiscovery. If SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business (using work or school account) are enabled across the organization and for users, these compliance features are available for all files within Teams as well.
How Exchange and Microsoft Teams interact