It has been a very long time since I’ve written a blog post for the ProExchange community website. However I do have a tiny tidbit of information that is wel worth sharing. Hence a nice occasion for a new post 😉
During one of our migration projects we identified an issue with duplicate system mailbox folders being generated; tasks1, contacts1 etc… The most annoying however was the calendar. The original calendar was transformed to a regular “mail items” folder and a new calendar was created. The new calendar however did not contain any entries as all of these are store in the original calendar folder. As consequence everybody was suddenly free all day long, Nobody received any meeting reminders anymore. Bottom-line, people got very annoyed by this very aspect of the issue.
Here a little screenshot of what the folder structure of one of the test mailboxes exhibiting this very problems looks like in the Windows 8 “mail” app:
We initially suspect the migration tools being the culprit as this certainly could not be an exchange related problem. However, after some trial an error we discovered that the issue actually started when distributing mailboxes between different mailbox databases after the migration! We were using a script that that executed a “New-MoveRequest -IgnoreRuleLimitError”. The latter parameter proved to be the cause of our problems. MS Premier support later confirmed that they could reproduce the behaviour in both RU6 and 7.
We have resorted to omitting the IgnoreRuleLimitError from the script for now. Alternatively one could look into use the New-MigrationBatch cmdlet.
Credits go out to my colleagues RoVr and PeBe for discovering the issue.